View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 740 IL
2001 740 IL transmission problem

Hello,

I just registered becuase when I searched the subject, the original message, posted by bruce r showed up ...

The problem with my car sounds exactly the same as bruce r described. I also have the 2001 740IL with 160,000 miles on it now. I never flushed transmission oil or changed filter (was told by BMW that it is not required). Just like "bruce r" described in his original posting, when driving at about 40 - 50 mph, the car makes a scraping type noise (sounds like it is somewhere in the front, under the engine, closer to passenger side). Also, when I drive at about 30 mph, and push the gas slowly, the car starts rattling, as if the engine misfired. I checked the computer codes, and it did show that several cylinder have misfired. Last time I changed spark plugs and gaskets the car had 80K, so I figured that it was resonable to change it again at 160K, but the issue was not resolved (both rattling and scraping noise are still there). Now, the mechanic is telling me that it is the transmission. I read that people suggested to flush transmission oil and change filter, others say that it helps as much as Tylenol for a dead person. Has anyone been able to fix this problem?

"bruce r" - your original message describes the situation with my car the closest and our models and year is the same - have you fixed it? Anyone?

Last edited by Mathpro2001; 01-20-2011 at 04:33 PM.