View Single Post
Old 11-11-2003, 03:27 PM
I reject your reality

Mein Auto: 02 Trulli-Leopard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galun
Well sometimes my instructors ask me to vocalize what I am doing / seeing to make sure I am doing the right things. Vocalizing it actuall made it easier for me to actually do the things that I am supposed to be doing. And these are great instructors who asked me to do it - including the head instructor of the pacific region.

Just trying to have a balanced view here Of course talking too much can be a big distraction, like the first case when he seemed like he was showing off to the video cam and the second case where they were kinda chit-chating.
Well, I certainly understand the instructor's reasoning. You're just verbalizing the same thoughts in your head, which may serve as a good reminder for "brake now, gentle turn-in, ease into the gas, etc."

But like you said... it's the nature of the talk. If you're doing what you and the instructors said about vocalizing, that's one thing. But doing your own "Paul Page" (oh how I hate that toad-man) while your driving (Subaru RS driver) or chit-chatting (Laguna tank slapper) then that's a lack of concentration, no two ways about it.

That said, my favorite way still is to not talk during the run, but pull in after your run and close your eyes and think about your laps... where the car did what, what your inputs were at the time, your line, etc, in order to separate what you are causing the car to do and how the car is handling. It's a good way to separate what the car is doing versus what you are *causing* the car to do.

But since we all learn and respond to things differently, use whichever way works best for you.

But learn from our two buddies about chit-chatting and doing in-car commentary. Don't do it!