View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 02:22 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
There are times when the CEL is illuminated because the exact same problem is recurring (i.e. the same code is being thrown). It appears that this happened to Rottieman, and BMW is replacing his car. As far as I can tell, there was no drama, no fight, no litigation. We cannot know if the resolution would have been the same if he had not muttered "lawyer" under his breath. But if his argument is that you need to threaten legal action to have BMW do the right thing, he has not presented any evidence to support that.

OTOH, ard (quite rightly in my opinion) noted that the CEL can be thrown by DIFFERENT causes, and that a succession of CEL's may not result in a successful vehicle replacement, whether or not accomplished via a Lemon Law claim. Many folks come here looking for more information on their vehicle, and I think they are well served by ard's observation that not all CEL's are necessarily evil, nor will it always be prudent / effective / profitable to retain a lemon law attorney.

I think the big difference between Rottieman and others, is that he is apparently not looking to learn anything new here, just relate his own experience. Personally, I expect that statistically there will be a certain number of defects with any manufactured product (thank you Edward Deming), and I am encouraged that BMW stood behind their product - regardless of how brilliant or clueless the local service advisors may have been. Bravo.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic

Last edited by quackbury; 01-26-2011 at 02:24 PM.