View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdibber View Post
Daughter accidently added 8 gallons of regular fuel to my X5 35d. After realizing what she had done, she immediately stopped pumping and called me. We had the car towed to the local dealership. The car was never started.

Dealer wants $1200 to flush & clean the tank, replace fuel filter, a rubber gasket and the fuel pump....

why would I need to replace the fuel pump if the car was never started?

many thanks....jd
I am according to article from greenreport.com that should never happened. I don't have my car yet, but will definitely test this. Maybe there is defect or device is easy to "fool".

"Some new diesel cars make it virtually impossible to fill up with gasoline. Since BMW launched its clean-diesel 335d and X5 models in the U.S. last year, they have all been fitted with a standard "mis-fueling protection device."

BMW's prevention device is a special mechanism in the filler neck that requires the larger-diameter diesel nozzle to trigger a mechanism that unlocks to open a flap to permit fueling. Hoses for unleaded gasoline have a smaller diameter, and and cannot trip the catch that operates the device.
"

http://www.greencarreports.com/blog/...oline-now-what