View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: X5 xDrive 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BMW330 View Post
I am according to article from greenreport.com that should never happened. I don't have my car yet, but will definitely test this. Maybe there is defect or device is easy to "fool".

"Some new diesel cars make it virtually impossible to fill up with gasoline. Since BMW launched its clean-diesel 335d and X5 models in the U.S. last year, they have all been fitted with a standard "mis-fueling protection device."

BMW's prevention device is a special mechanism in the filler neck that requires the larger-diameter diesel nozzle to trigger a mechanism that unlocks to open a flap to permit fueling. Hoses for unleaded gasoline have a smaller diameter, and and cannot trip the catch that operates the device."
If the pump nozzle was undamaged and not misshapen due to age and mistreatment, if the nozzle was not inserted, twisted or otherwise manipulated in such a way as to press both the filler neck detents, and if the filler neck detents did not get stuck or otherwise fail mechanically, then it would be close to impossible to pump gasoline into the diesel BMW. But never impossible.

Like the old saying, as soon as you make something idiot proof, along comes a smarter idiot.