View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 11:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 2.0d MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
I don't know the labor costs down there but I suspect they will be cheaper than up here, while the parts will probably cost more. While I have done clutches, etc. in domestic trucks I have never done one in a BMW so I can't speak from experience but I never really had to do anything to the flywheel. Since you burned yours out in a "single" episode I bet the flywheel is probably OK and you just need the other stuff.
UncleJ, I guess the flywheel is ok, there is no noise nor strange vibrations, just the disc slippage and ugly smell. I managed to get back home, the clutch resisted upto 40 mph (and even 60 downhill). It was strange to see an X3 moving so slowly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
X3 MTs are probably not the best boat pullers (depending on the size of the boat) and this is one place where the A/T may do better. Trucks of course pull boats out of the water better than anything else.
Well, it was only an 18.5ft bowrider, nothing too heavy. But, I will definitely let my neighbor do it himself next time

Re MT vs AT, the day before yesterday I had a chance to enjoy 50 miles of twisty mountain roads and MT is a blast to drive The road was deserted, nobody around, I was able to use both lanes and try out the car and tires and it was pure FUN