View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 12:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Mein Auto: 2007 X3 2.0d MT
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
I don't know the labor costs down there but I suspect they will be cheaper than up here, while the parts will probably cost more. While I have done clutches, etc. in domestic trucks I have never done one in a BMW so I can't speak from experience but I never really had to do anything to the flywheel. Since you burned yours out in a "single" episode I bet the flywheel is probably OK and you just need the other stuff.
UncleJ, I guess the flywheel is ok, there is no noise nor strange vibrations, just the disc slippage and ugly smell. I managed to get back home, the clutch resisted upto 40 mph (and even 60 downhill). It was strange to see an X3 moving so slowly.

Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
X3 MTs are probably not the best boat pullers (depending on the size of the boat) and this is one place where the A/T may do better. Trucks of course pull boats out of the water better than anything else.
Well, it was only an 18.5ft bowrider, nothing too heavy. But, I will definitely let my neighbor do it himself next time

Re MT vs AT, the day before yesterday I had a chance to enjoy 50 miles of twisty mountain roads and MT is a blast to drive The road was deserted, nobody around, I was able to use both lanes and try out the car and tires and it was pure FUN