View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 10:35 AM

Mein Auto: '11 35d, 01 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ View Post
Sorry to hear about your mishap.

I am always worried that I will someday make this mistake. Soon after I got my vehicle, I stopped to fill up at a (older) Shell gas station. As I carefully looked for the diesel pump, and put the nozel in the tank, for some reason the pump motor would not come on. I finally went in to the cashier and she said that she had noticed me pull up to the pump and switched off the power as she thought that surely a BMW would take premium fuel and I was going to mis-fuel my vehicle. I assured her my car was a diesel and I did indeed need to fuel it up with diesel. She told me that many people make a mistake as that pump was the most used pump by people passing through on that highway. I thanked her being so vigilant.

I have made a point that when in town we use two seperate gas stations for fueling our two different vehicles, one takes premium and one is a diesel. My wife does not like to fuel the car also helps. The 325i we fill at Costco, and they do not sell diesel. The X5 which I drive, I fill it up at a Shell station. That way we will avoid making a mistake with the wrong fuel. One time when I was away from home for a few weeks and she was forced to go to get gas, she went to a full service station to get refueled.

Regarding COSTCO, I used to fuel there all the time. (Lewisville, TX, suburb of Dallas...) About 2 years ago or so, my wife's 2001 325ci engine started missing badly and the car sounded horrible and would hardly go.

Went to the dealer and the first thing the SA said was, "do you get gas at COSTCO?" I am not kidding. Unprompted. He said they were getting cars in on a regular basis and COSTCO (at least that one?) had elevated levels of ethanol that were playing havoc with sophisticated engines like BMW.

They drained the tank, gave a fuel sample to Allstate, which indeed showed elevated levels of ethanol and Allstate paid for new fuel pump, injectors and some other stuff to the tune of a few thousand dollars. (Allstate then deals with COSTCO, evidently on the claim...) I have not gone to any "off" brand station since then. Only "majors" like Chevron, etc. Pretty shocking.