View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 xDrive35d
Costco Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixr View Post
Regarding COSTCO, I used to fuel there all the time. (Lewisville, TX, suburb of Dallas...) About 2 years ago or so, my wife's 2001 325ci engine started missing badly and the car sounded horrible and would hardly go.

Went to the dealer and the first thing the SA said was, "do you get gas at COSTCO?" I am not kidding. Unprompted. He said they were getting cars in on a regular basis and COSTCO (at least that one?) had elevated levels of ethanol that were playing havoc with sophisticated engines like BMW.

They drained the tank, gave a fuel sample to Allstate, which indeed showed elevated levels of ethanol and Allstate paid for new fuel pump, injectors and some other stuff to the tune of a few thousand dollars. (Allstate then deals with COSTCO, evidently on the claim...) I have not gone to any "off" brand station since then. Only "majors" like Chevron, etc. Pretty shocking.
Thanks for the warning about Costco Gas. I am not sure if it is any different here in Canada. I will surely be making an effort to find out about the level of ethanol in the gas here. I will also check with the dealer's service department to see if there is any problem with the Costco gas here in Canada.

One more thing. Here in Canada all diesel pumps are a bright yellow to diffentiate them from the gasoline pumps. However, people will still make a mistake when not paying full attention.