View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_C View Post
Yes, I listened to the video before responding. The OP description + noise in the video + the noise my wife's 328xi all appear to be one in the same.

I understand exactly what you mean about blending in with engine rpm sound but goes above it.

That is what confuses me. I still cannot figure if it is coming from engine, transfer case or transmission. It very much sounds like a gear whine for sure.

I am going to mention it & snoop around for answers during my first service visit, but it is a long way off.

My honest feeling was that the wife's 328xi was probably not the only one doing it, and now that appears to be confirmed.
It really does sound like gear whine, 100%. But I can't see how it's transmission related. The transmission should be disconnected in park, the torque converter should not even be spinning. So unless it's in the shaft going to the torque converter I think it has to be in the engine.

Also I don't have an x-drive model so I know it can't be transfer case.

Someone else in the other thread mentioned the accessories drive belt. There was also a thread labeled 'alternator whine'. Perhaps it's something like that.

Last edited by armando95; 02-03-2011 at 11:57 AM.