View Single Post
Old 02-04-2011, 04:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
The performance exhaust was about $1,100 and is all stainless steel. I took it to a muffler shop because I don't have a way to get the car up on stands or anything like that. Once the car is up on the lift, the installation becomes clear and the measurment of where to cut is easily and accurately done. It is a two person job as the exhaust section is long and awkward to handle. It could be a DIY with two people and the car on stands. The old exhaust saws easily with a sawsall. The muffler shop crew handled it in less than an hour at minimal cost. They enjoyed tearing up brand new stuff.

The BMW PI was more than $400, more like $700. It was more of a pain to install than the exhaust. I did it myself and had never taken a BMW airbox apart before. I got both systems from Tischer (getbmwparts.com).

Hot Toddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
I wasnít making fun of your BMW PI and PE mods, yes they are more expensive but they are BMW. Some people donít care for the louder sound so this would not have been the cure for the engine whine even if it were not expensive. Might as well turn up the speakers.

BTW, the secondary ram air intake mod (similar to the $400+ Dinan ram air intake kit except without the removal of the bumper and only $22 material cost) with an aFe drop in high flow filter ($70) will make the car come alive and add intake sound too, similar to the euro airbox mod except again at much less cost.

For $400+ I would just get the BMW PI, or go full DIY route. What is the lowest BMW PE cost? Can one DIY it or does this have to be done in a shop?