View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 525i Sport
I replaced both the AC and alternator belts today. Here are a couple of things I came across.

I removed the air box, fan shroud and fan for better access. I had bought the two fan wrenches off eBay and they worked well - once you find the two nuts on the water pump pulley that will fit into the slots on the wrench.

Both my tensioners are mechanical (build date 11/02). The AC belt tensioner had a torx hole only - no built in hex head. I didn't have the correct size torx so I lent on the tensioner from above with the heel of my hand and got the belt on - I'm a big guy!! The alternator tensioner had the hex head and it was a big help.

Removing the air box was key in getting the fan back on. I tried from below, but there just wasn't enough room to support the fan while trying to thread it onto the water pump.

I had a little difficulty getting the expansion tank back in place and lost some coolant through the tube that goes into the top of the expansion tank. In hindsight, I needed to plug the hole when I first removed it.

As usual, I took my time as this was the first time attempting this repair. I spent the better part of six-hours, although an hour of that was spent cleaning the greasy dirt that was impacted on the viscous fan. Next time, I'll have it done in a few hours. My last car (Hyundai) took 30-minutes!!

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.