Rambling Wreck

Mein Auto: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by catso View Post
Great work.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
This is a lovely trunk loom wiring harness DIY!

Thank you for taking the time to write it up so well for the rest of us to enjoy!
Thank you too, and you're welcome.

Quote:
One thing that has always surprised me is that I've never found anyone who has purchased the wiring harness for the trunk loom.
E36ers can get their hands on a replacement harness that doesn't cost the moon. This is the harness I purchased when I had an E36:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...05&hg=61&fg=10

RealOEM shows a ~$160 harness (No. 4 in the diagram below) for the E39 - is it a complete replacement harness, or would that be the $1,300 one?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...35&hg=61&fg=10

So far, I don't know that there is a dedicated repair kit for the E46. I guess it depends on whether BMW NA and the service departments across the country have determined that this is a necessary repair kit. Hopefully, BMW NA will begin to stock them for the E46 as the last coupes start to show signs of wiring damage.

Quote:
I asked the forum if anyone replaced the entire harness (stock OEM), and nobody said they did.
They may not realize that it exists, or that it's a far better alternative to patching up the existing wiring.

Quote:
Thanks for that hint. I had asked (post #48 over here) what wire size to use and didn't get a decent answer.
You should be able to find the wire sizes in the Bentley electrical diagrams. Even if the wire sizes aren't listed, it's easy to figure them out in situ.

Quote:
Methinks the "jury" has determined that the wires are NOT kinking. Yep. Strange as it sounds, at least over in the E39 world, most of us surmise that the wires are being "pulled apart".

Not everyone agrees, but the evidence is showing that the insulation is cracked and pulled apart by a couple of millimeters. Some wires are broken but most are simply missing a length of insulation.

So, if true, the solution "might" be slightly longer wires.
I think we'll have to agree to disagree here. The PVC insulation and the individual copper strands in the wires can only take so much flexing before they fail. A "shortening" of 2mm could indicate shrinkage of the PVC. Does an unrepaired, standard-length harness feel as if it is under tension when the trunk lid is all the way open?

Last edited by G. P. Burdell; 02-11-2011 at 03:30 PM.