View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 10:58 AM
Sup3rman

Mein Auto: '11 E90 AW M3/ '11 AW X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by kck7 View Post
I am somewhat of an audiophile and have owned a variety of high end gear including Mac, Pass, Usher, PS Audio, Manley, etc. Have experimented with nearly all technologies including tubes, hard-drive based systems, SACD, and so on. Have had vinyl for a good while but that's on hold now.

My current setup includes Meridian active speakers, which are good enough that they pulled me out of the constant upgrading game, for which I am thankful as it gets pretty crazy. I went through about $100k in electronics over 10 years. The Meridians cost as much as a new economy car, so they'd better be good.

To OP: in your iPod, do you use lossless audio?

In pretty much all cars I have heard (stationary!), the audio is actually BETTER than home stereos unless you're spending a lot of money at home, and Im not talking receivers. The enclosed environment, combination of hard and soft surfaces, MUCH smaller space (think headphones on the other end), contribute to a listening 'room' that is actually very sound friendly.

Unless...

You screw it up with a supremely mediocre system and then remove the tweeters! Yes folks, the audiofools at BMW decontented the standard stereo by (cough, hack) REMOVING the effing tweeters (what, $10 each?) entirely! So you have not-so-good midrange drivers trying to replicate the high frequencies (as well as doing their own job) and failing miserably.

I may be upgrading the X5's speakers in the summer. If it works out well, I will post a DIY. In the meantime, I run the treble all the way up and it helps a little.
I run Lossless Audio, but there still seems to be a hole in the mids - I keep tinkering, but I just can't seem to get rid of it - it's almost like the power just fades in the mids..

As for upgrading.. I don't believe there are any cables for the tweeters already run (previously posted) so you might have more of a project on your hands..

2007 335i Coupe - 6MT Alpine White/Saddle Brown ED 5/23/2007 (retired)

ED Trip Report W/ Pics (And Engagement Story/Pics)