View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 11:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X535D/2011 335IS cv
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i View Post
As for upgrading.. I don't believe there are any cables for the tweeters already run (previously posted) so you might have more of a project on your hands..
Yup... so am not going to use the tweeter enclosures but use a speaker with midrange output that utilizes an integrated but separate tweeter (similar to whizzer cone). No extra wiring.

This is assuming I do it at all. I attempted to open one door panel a few weeks ago but it didn't go well as I did not have good instructions nor experience. Hoping to acquire some info which is why it's now tentatively scheduled for summer.

I neglected to mention in my above post that the base stereo sound has improved a little since day one, but this may be due to a relatively common phenomenon in the audiophile's world, break in. What is always the subject of lively debate is whether the break in is of the component or of the listener's ears. I have personally experienced break in (of a component) but more so with digital pieces (eg standalone cd player) and not so much with analog stuff, or at least not as definable and conclusive. Of course what we've got here in the X5 or any factory car stereo is an entire system comprised of both analog and digital, not easily separable in reality or even in theory.

What is quite clear is that BMW cheaped out the base stereo in order to sell more of the premium units. Not entirely a cool thing to do but not so surprising, given the competitiveness of the market and the only place left to really make money is in options any more. I mean, look at the nav... what, $2K? Does anyone doubt it costs more than $100 or so to install? Might even be less.

Last edited by kck7; 02-14-2011 at 11:18 AM.