Thread: 525i Head
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 09:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 525i, Corvette, 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR_LVR View Post
Very interesting Rick. I didn't even know lifters could be reconditioned. I have learned so much from this thread.

One thing puzzles me. You say that the reconditioned lifters should not have oil in them. I love to watch Powerblock on Spike on Sat. and/or Sun. I constantly see them soaking what I thought were hydraulic lifters in oil prior to installation. I seem to even recall them stating that that had to be done.

I'm confused. When you have time (if you do ) could you elaborate on why your re-conditioned lifters should not have oil in them on re-assembly? I would be very appreciative.

Steve
Hi Steve,
Well, let's say reconditioning as in cleaning them out by taking them apart. Obviously if metal is worn then there's nothing you can do about that except replacement. Fortunately so far, mine are in relatively good shape.

As for your concern about pre-oiling them, the machinist whom I purchased this rebuilt head from, informed me not to because they may not properly fill during startup and I could run into the typical tapping sound, the sign that a hydraulic valve is malfunctioning.

When he was guiding me thru this process yesterday I specifically asked him about submerging the lifters in oil and pumping them in order to filler the inner chamber with oil.
He stated that he didn't know where everyone got this idea from.

As for who he is, his name is Peter Prinsloo (FB or look him up on the internet) he's a former F1 machinist and motorcycle racer. Has a machine shop which specializes in BMW heads.
He also told me he used to work for the late Aryton Senna during his F1 years, so I'm confident he knows what he's talking about.
But just to be safe, I'll ask him more questions before the assembly.