Thread: 525i Head
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 09:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 525i, Corvette, 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR_LVR View Post
Very interesting Rick. I didn't even know lifters could be reconditioned. I have learned so much from this thread.

One thing puzzles me. You say that the reconditioned lifters should not have oil in them. I love to watch Powerblock on Spike on Sat. and/or Sun. I constantly see them soaking what I thought were hydraulic lifters in oil prior to installation. I seem to even recall them stating that that had to be done.

I'm confused. When you have time (if you do ) could you elaborate on why your re-conditioned lifters should not have oil in them on re-assembly? I would be very appreciative.

Steve
Steve,
I've been doing some research and there seems to be two schools of thought on this subject.

Presoak or not.
Here is something I found in another forum.

Do Hydraulic Lifters Need to be Primed with Oil?
Many people mistakenly believe that hydraulic lifters must be soaked in oil overnight and be hand pumped up with a pushrod before installing into a new engine, however this is not necessary. In fact, this could cause the lifter to act as a "solid" and prevent obtaining proper preload. What is very necessary is the priming of the entire engine's oil system before starting up a new engine for the first time. This is done by turning the oil pump with a drill motor to force oil throughout the entire engine.

I'm going to install them without presoaking them. The possibility of causing a solid condition makes sense to me.