View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 05:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 E39 540IA Sport
Well guys, it has been 3 long weeks but the 540 is purring like a kitten now. Boy the first time I started the motor it sounded AWFUL until the hydraulics built up.

THEN I had a coolant leak into the number 7 cylinder. It was leaking coolant past the rings into the oil pan. So I took the valve covers off and re torqued the heads with a torque wrench to 65 ft pounds. She was still smoking a little. So I called Bars Products. The man Frank informed me that aluminum has a problem sealing at times. So I put the Bars product HG1, half a bottle. I was out of options. Within 8 minutes the smoke a miss was GONE! Before, the coolant light was coming on after about 5 miles. I ran the car at 1500 rpms for 20 minutes to insure the seal, and let the motor cool. No coolant was missing. Just a nice stream from the bleeder.

I rapidly changed the oil and filter and the #7 plug that was fouled. Now the car literally runs PERFECT. The sodium silica and reenforced with carbon fibers seals the leaks and does not coagulate with anti-freeze. The best 65 I ever spent. Bars told me for new gaskets that have not quite sealed perfectly that Rolls and Jaguar use this off the assembly line.

So was it a picture perfect story? NO but you cannot even hear the car idle. Drove it about 30 miles with no issues and the system bled perfectly. Purest will argue, but I was going to have to remove the head anyway if it did not work.

So I am happy. No coolant leaks, no white smoke, no timing chain noise and the car has more pep than it ever did since I owned it.

I will keep everyone informed on the effectiveness of the product.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0689.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	267324   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0691.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	267325   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0693.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	267326  

Last edited by Kelley71; 02-21-2011 at 07:51 PM.