Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - Ctek 7002????
Thread: Ctek 7002????
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 08:50 AM
Yorgi's Avatar
Yorgi Yorgi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,650
Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Well I have an electrical engineering background and I still managed to blow my battery.

My winter-stored M3 battery was fully discharged after my tender had died at some point during the winter. In an attempt at desulfation, I hooked up my large constant voltage charger (14V) directly to the battery and went inside. I set the oven timer for 1 hour.

When I opened the door to the garage I could smell the battery acid and knew right away I was in for a long night. Luckily BMW uses heavy duty epoxy paint in the battery well so there was only very minor acid damage.

I guess the vents on my battery were clogged because in theory, the hydrogen should not build up to the point where it can blow the battery. Let's just say I have a new appreciation for the power of hydrogen gas and sulfuric acid.
Straight lines are for fast cars...turns are for fast drivers
'04 M3 - track
'06 650i Cab - daily driver
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Reply With Quote