View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0 & LCI 328i
For those of you who have experienced the same issue 3 or more times, the lemon law should apply (it would in Alabama). I am a lawyer and have handled several of these cases. The above post is correct, any lawyer who is marginally experienced in the field will take the case and not charge you a dime because (most) lemon law statutes mandate that the manufacturer has to pay the consumer's attorney's fees.

If it's of any significance, I've never lost a lemon law case. The manufacturer either bought the car back or did what is called a "collateral swap" in each of my cases. Then again, if I think the lemon law claim of a potential client is "iffy," I would never agree to take the case.

Alabama law requires that a certain formal statutory notice must be given by the consumer to the manufacturer as a condition precedent to recovery. Each of you on this board should see if your state has a similar requirement before contacting an attorney (or better yet, have that attorney do it for you).

Good luck, and by the way, I wouldn't let ANY dealer drag out such a problem for more than two or three weeks because a one year statute of limitations applies in most circumstances.