View Single Post
Old 02-26-2011, 07:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 335d '10
Have a post on this about this time last year - see below pasted thread. The irony of it all, a week or two after the March incident BMW released a Service Bulletin recognizing the DEF problem. Ultimately, had both tanks refilled in Sept '10 at Passport BMW at the first scheduled oil change.

Slug

03-27-2010, 05:18 PM
slugdriver
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein auto: BMW 335d '10
View My Garage
Refilled DEF Myself to Avoid $300 Fee
Ok, ladies and germs, allow me a few lines to bitch and moan. Here goes...

A few weeks back I received the "1000 miles until car won't start" message in the instrument panel with only 4632 miles on the car. I had to fly out of town and did not have my owners manual with, so I called Sterling BMW here in Virginia to inquire about refilling the tank.

I was told by the SA that the DEF tank refill would be covered free of charge under BMW's 4yr/50K mile maintenance program. He also advised that they had to "reset" the computer once completing the refill. Thus, I had to bring the car in.

So early last Monday morning, I took the car to the stealership, picked up a loaner and went on my way to work. By early afternoon, the SA called me to advise that BMW would not cover the refill, as it was required prior to the first scheduled oil change, where in theory, they would refill the tank at no charge. Adding insult to injury, he advised that they could go ahead and refill the tank at a charge of $300!!!!

I told him not to do anything to the car and related that I was peaved, because it was a waste of my time to drop off the car, and that I was incorrectly advised that refill would be covered free of charge under the maintenance program. Moreover, it was ridiculous to charge a customer $300 for the tank refill.

While picking up the car later that day, I purchased a bottle of the DEF at the parts counter for $17, went home, confirmed with my owners manual this was something I could do myself (computer resets itself!!!), and took less than 5 minutes to refill the tank.
Bottom line is the dealer wanted $300 for 5 min worth of labor? That's $60/min - WTFO?

Suffice to say, no wonder dealerships don't have the best reputations. Moreover, how many owners who are not savvy enough to ask questions/do minor maintenance themselves end up blowing wads of cash?!!!

Ok, off the soap box.

Final question: Has anyone on this forum seen 15K miles or anything north of 5K miles on the original tank of DEF from the factory? Would be curious to know....

Slug
1992-1993: 1979 528i (Bought, Driven, Sold in Deutschland)
1992-1993: 1979 528i (Bought, Driven, Sold in Deutschland)

Last edited by slugdriver; 02-26-2011 at 07:18 AM.