View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 07:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTaz View Post
Excellent write up Yorgi.
I have a few questions:
1. At what mileage did you do the first brake job?
2. I assume you flushed the system, How much fluid did it take?
3. Where did you get the brake lines?

Thanks. I'm getting ready to do a fluid change.
Wes
Thanks Wes,

I am a special case when it comes to abusing brakes. I bought the car in Sept-2010 and the dealer installed new OEM pads all the way around as part of the safety.

2 days later I took the 6er to the track because my M3 was parked on jackstands due to a caliper issue with a new BBK I was installing. I went through 75% of the new OEM pads in one day at the track. This car is HEAVY, but still very fun on a track.

1) Mileage was 60K miles
2) I flushed the system, and will do a DIY on that in the next week or two. This was a dealer maintained car so I was surprised to find the brake fluid was dark brown and as thick as maple syrup..ie never changed. (you will see what I mean when I post the DIY pics) I used only 1L on the brakes, and another 1/2L doing the clutch (I removed the clutch delay valve).
3) I bought StopTech lines from Zeckhausen, one of the best companies I've dealt with. These guys know brakes like no one else. Here is the Zeckhausen Racing 6er products page

I am also working on a 6er brake pad FAQ which will list the available aftermarket pads along with info on price/dusting/how well they stop vs OEM.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Last edited by Yorgi; 03-02-2011 at 08:00 AM.