View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 528iAT
I did a double today :-D

Speaking of VANOS seals, I too had a pretty decent run at slaying the dragon today I know the debate seems to continue on relevance this particular "fix-it", but if it helps advance the dialogue any, here's my situation...

'00 528iAT with 156k purchased approximately four months ago exhibiting textbook behavior as described in the Besian DIY: http://beisansystems.com/procedures/vanos_procedure.htm

"Cars with the M52TU engine (98/99-00) experience cold weather cold start idle jolts and possible stall."

It doesn't even get that cold here in SoCal, but apparently cold enough. Occasionally the car would even go into limp mode after a rough start and I would simply coast to the end of my street, shut the car off, start it back up and it would be okay. In addition, cjwheeling (another poster on this board) is a friend/dealer who I purchased the car from, he agreed the car felt a little "weak" at low RPMs compared to other e39's he's had.

So far this weekend, I addressed the coil issue outlined here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=523647 by getting another matching Bosch coil. The plugs look almost brand new and are pictured in the same thread.

See anything familiar? Unfortunately, my mechanical tensioners didn't make it at the same time as the other stuff

This is probably nothing new, but here's how I got my fan off:

Without a third hand, I couldn't take a picture off both tools on the fan, but you can see how I grabbed the two pulley bolts with the channel locks. With the 32mm wrench positioned not quite parallel to the channel locks, it was relatively easy to break the nut free (spray first).

Once inside, it looked pretty good except from some buildup you can see upper right:

... and some buildup on the VANOS itself:

Chain guides look okay:

Camshaft wear... I don't know if that looks good or bad...

Final prep for surgery:

Custom plasma bottle for catching fluids from exhaust side:

Surgery:

I've got the VANOS, the VCG, grommets, coils, etc. all put back together, but with out my tensioners, I called it a day... I should be getting those and the resonator I broke off the air box (another story) tomorrow. Once it's ALL back together (which should be tomorrow), I'll report back on first impressions, etc.