View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 11:01 AM
MT = Doppler Shifting

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 (MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batche View Post
I have an 04 3.0 with 93K miles on it and I started to see something wierd a coupleof months ago. When I first start it after it has been sitting for a while and I back out of a parking space or my driveway then put it in drive it will slip a bit as I start to move forward. If I am gentle with the throttle for about a 2 seconds it seems to slip into place then it doesnt do it again for the rest of the trip or - often - for the rest of the day. It almost acts like fluid draind out of some pump in the transmission while it sat and the fluid needs to circulate a bit to go into drive for the first time.

If anyone has any insights I would be very appreciative.

Thanks as always.
The only time I've experienced an automatic transmission slipping is when I had a '90 Grand Am with a faulty transmission fluid cooling line (running to or from the radiator -- can't recall which at the moment) that ruptured while I was driving the vehicle, and I lost quite a bit of transmission fluid. At some point, the fluid level dropped to where the transmission started slipping -- badly.

In the end. I noticed the problem in time and it was repaired without damage to the transmission. So, the first thing I'd check in your case is the transmission fluid level, to be sure it's within the operating range.

X3 w/6-speed & Sport Package:
A sports sedan disguised as an SUV...