View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 11:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 530i 2003
I changed my CCV today using Fudman's DIY in & found it worked very well. I have two suggestions to make.

I found that I didn't have to disconnect the 3 plugs to the top of the engine over toward the exhaust side which allows the harness to be pulled across. Actually, I couldn't get one of the plugs undone & in desperation tried leaving them connected. I had a little less freedom to move the wiring box but found it to be no big problem.

Best though, I have some pictures to describe a solution to that @#%^& connection tube that everyone complains about. I think some others may have tried to describe this method without pictures, but the sequence of steps was never clear for me.

I spent over an hour feeding it down into position & then trying to rotate the lock on the joint to CCV without coming even close. With this method it became a 1 minute job - just the connection tube that is, not the entire job.
Also, I didn't have to modify the locking connection as Fudman describes.

The trick was to detach the evap valve on the front of the manifold so the hard plastic vacuum hose to it could be flexed down out of the way. Here is what worked for me:
1 place new CCV in position
2 remove evap valve bracket from manifold and drop down out of the way
3 from under the manifold, push the connection tube onto the CCV. Picture01
4 rotate the connection tube around the joint to the CCV, the end going up to the distribution piece will swing easily up between the manifold runners. This locks the connection tube onto the CCV. Picture02 from top and Picture03 under the manifold
5 reattach evap valve bracket. Picuture04. I had to twist the valve on its rubber mount to get a screwdriver on one of the two the torx screws but there is lots of compliance, no damage done.

You will see from that pictures that I was doing my oil filter housing gasket so I had easier access than otherwise, I think though that this method would work with the oil filter housing in place.

Regards
RDL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture01.jpg
Views:	1247
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	269953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture02.jpg
Views:	1083
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	269954   Click image for larger version