View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 02:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Hi Cam,
I tried to figure out which engines had not only aluminum blocks but non-ferrous cylinder liners - but I had to give up:
- What is the metal for the E39 short block, cylinder liners, & camshaft head (1)

Why, specifically, is the OP better off with replacing the engine if he has the aluminum short block?
  • Is it because the labor is much more to 'fix' the aluminum block engines than to simply replace them?
  • Or is it because the chance of 'fixing' the aluminum block engines is too low (due to heat-related cracks, bolts pulled out, warping, etc.)
BB:
More of the latter as the cost of a total engine repair is usually more than that of replacing with a used engine. Since aluminum expands faster than iron, it causes more damage faster. Pistons and valves can sustain more damage faster with an aluminum block. Cam seizure is a possibility. If you have blown your head gasket, you have likely contaminated your main bearings with coolant. Some distortion of the block may also be permanent. Just usually too much damage to fix. But an inspection should be performed to ascertain the cost of a repair before making a decision.