View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 05:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by franka View Post
Hydrolock happens almost instantaneously when water gets into the intake system and then into a cylinder. Since water is not compressible the engine stops immediately. If the revs were very slow at the time, and the water was from an external source, the engine may not be damaged. If it happend at speed then there is probably a bent rod or more like a bent crank and a broken piston head.

If the coolant broke into the cylinder, by any path, and at higher rpms, then the engine is toast. But this is very unusual for hdro lock

Are you sure it was hydrolocked? Maybe what happened was that the cooling system lost water and the engine got so hot that it seized. That means that the piston and cylider walls welded themselves together. It you are driving the car it will slow before is seizes. If that is what happened the engine is also probably toast. But it can be rebuilt.

Seizing and hydrolocking are two different failure models. Both invole water (or coolant with 50% water)
The head gasket blew, and a lot of water got inside the cylinder, and bent the rods like pretzels. Not only that, there are visible cracks on the cylinder head and the block is also warped with the threads pulled out. I tore down the engine about 3 weeks ago, and the customer decided to go with a new engine since his will take a lot of work to repair.

reb78, what year is your car? If it is a 1999-2000, it may be possible. I have never done or heard of anybody doing that swap.

Sold - 2003 325i Sedan Japanrot 5 Speed 8k Xenon Headlamps Build Date 11/02