View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 12:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 09 M3 Sedan
One of the things I've learned here on Bimmerfest is that if you post any question regarding snow chains, the only help you're going to get is a bunch of East Coasters telling you that you don't need them. At first, I questioned whether I needed them, then I got annoyed, and finally realized that NorCal is pretty much the only place in the country where you're required to have them.

Now, if you have M+S and AWD, you will not need them in Tahoe. They won't even check. If you want them as a backup, but you're also concerned about clearance, ease of putting them on, etc, I HIGHLY recommend the SCC Super Z6 chain (http://www.scc-chain.com). They have one that'll fit on the X3. I spent _months_ in vain trying search for help on Bimmerfest and other BMW forums. In the end, I took a chance with the Super Z6 after doing a lot of research on clearance amounts and chain measurements. I have been very happy; Very little clearance is needed with the Z6

If you have a much, much larger budget, there are plenty of good tire claw products out there that are really easy to use, but many of them require pre-installation of the hubs before you leave home. I've only used the cables a few times and I can throw them on within 90 seconds per tire on dry pavement and under 4 minutes with snow and crap on the side of the road in Tahoe.

Last edited by CliffJumper; 03-15-2011 at 12:18 PM.