BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Left side of 2001 M Coupe 3/8 of an inch lower than right?

Tags
2001 m coupe
3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  PhillyNate 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

While washing the car today, I noticed that the left (driver side) of my car is about 3/8 to .5 of an inch lower than the right. it is the same at both the front and the right wheel. It is not a difference in tire pressure, as the difference is in the gap between the fender and the top of the tire. The vehicle is completely stock, and has never been in a wreck.

What could possibly cause this? The car only has 37,500 miles on it. My only thought is that there has rarely ever been a person in the passenger seat, but I weigh 170 and I can't believe that the little bit of driving I do in it every year would drop the side of the car that much.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or ideas what might be causing this?

#3 ·
Its damned near impossible to get it perfect on every corner.

Just give up.

If you are that anal, I suggest you get coil-overs so you can adjust them for two days and then get the car aligned...

Only to find that its off another quarter of an inch when you get back home.

Ask me how I know.

#7 ·
This has been discussed on this board before. Your situation is unusual in that it's your passenger side that sits higher than the driver's side. When this was posted before it was everyones driver side that sat higher than the passenger. As mine does. Someone credible concluded that it was due to BMW assuming that most of your drives are going to be sans passenger and it's an attempt to perfectly level out the car. It sounded very German so I adopted it as gospel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.