View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 01:24 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzellaak View Post
My son ran his 2001 528i with a cracked radiator and ended up with a blown head gasket and bad water pump.
This is so sad. It happens at least once a week judging from the posts we get (and you're not the first father to report that his son learned the hard lesson that the BMW cooling system is a time bomb that will ruin the engine pronto if not cared for).

See:
- What to tell people who overheated their BMW E39 engine (1)

Quote:
Is there a market to sell a beemer with a bad engine? Or, is there a reliable place to try to buy a rebuilt engine?
A friendly suggestion, if you want to sell it to an enthusiast, call it a 'bimmer' because it's not a motorcycle.

See:
- What is the difference between a bimmer and a beemer and, um, yeah, a beamer (1)

In the thread I referenced above, there are places listed which will sell a rebuilt engine for the E39. You might want to price it out.

Quote:
The car is currently in the Seattle area.
You can get the parts value and some reliable shops for advice from this link:

- BMWfans phantom diagrams (1) & realoem nominal prices by part number (1) & EACTuning prices by part number (1) labor rates by zip code (1) (2) (3) where to find a good mechanic (1) (2) joining BMWCCA (1) (2) & finding a reputable BMW indy in your area (1) (2) & the most often recommended parts suppliers (1)

Good luck. Let us know what you end up doing.