View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 07:11 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Let there (not) be light. In NH we have annual safety inspections, each vehicle is done in the month of the owner's birthday. Naturally we are required to check lights. To paraphrase to the best of my ability...

"All factory equipped exterior lights must function as intended. No lights of any kind may be added to the exterior. All bulbs must be of the same wattage, color, and type as those which were certified for the vehicle."

We could not issue a safety sticker for a car modified the way you intend Kat. We are not a high crime area, so yes, the State and local cops do stop and ticket cars for modified lighting. I know this because the owners come to me to sign off on a form saying that they reverted to the original (at least while it was at my shop)
TX; YMMV

Edit One of my techs went on to become a city cop. He works the graveyard shift and often is on call to twist wrenches if we get busy. He has said that he rarely stops cars just for a light infraction, but will give a ticket as an add-on for attitude. What all cops constantly stop for is window tint on the front door windows and windshield. They really dislike the stuff.

Last edited by DSXMachina; 04-02-2011 at 07:14 AM.