View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW x5 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC_1915 View Post

I would have thought the cars/bodies go through the paint process before they are assembled?
They go from body shop to paint shop to assembly. If you go to the BMW factory webpage, you can watch a video of each of these 3 steps. While you're waiting for your car, particularly if it's currently being produced, they're pretty neat to watch.

http://www.bmwusfactory.com/manufact...ess/body-shop/

Each of these steps takes a day...they happened in 3 consecutive days for me. However, the phone system, although more accurate than the tracking website, is not always entirely accurate. On Thursday, the website said my car was in the paint shop, with estimated completion date of 4/1. When I called yesterday to see if it was in final assembly, it said it was still in the paint shop with estimated completion on 4/2. However, it was actually in Assembly, and it was completed yesterday. My CA just called me this morning to inform me that it's at the preparation center and should be delivered to the dealership this Wednesday!!

When I ordered the car on 3/5, I was told that production would begin this week, and it would be ready sometime late April / early May. Turns out, I'll be driving it by next weekend. I'm very happy that it happened a month early, but still seems like it's been forever!