BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Headlight Assembly Replacement

30K views 59 replies 27 participants last post by  golferjohnm 
#1 ·
I am looking for a recommendation for purchase of new headlight assemblies for my 2001 530i. I see so many of them on eBay that it is difficult to decide. Please post any recommendations.
I have tried polishing them, but the haze is on the inside.

thank you in advance.
dave

#3 ·
eBay $100
OEM $600

that's a pretty significant difference in price. What's the diff in looks, fit, use, etc?
i have searched BMW forums for awhile and have not found any pros / cons about what is available for sale... certainly I'm not the first to be looking for these.

dave

#4 ·
Are you looking for the whole headlight unit or parts and pieces to replace broken headlights? Either way, if you don't want to spend dealership prices and don't want the pos quality of eBay, go to Ecstuning, umnitza, ddmtuning, Eactuning ... You'll find their headlights range from 200-400 for pretty good quality stuff...

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

#6 ·
no, it's not about the "look"
I had a neighbor try to "restore" them... he has multiple franchises that do this work all over the southeast and after an hour or so he said - can't help you unless you open them up and we can try cleaning / polishing the inside.

I was under the impression that the assemblies were not able to be opened... and if they were, the humidity and rain in florida will likely continue to get in there... not sure if I could re-seal them as good as BMW did it 10 years ago.

What is bad about the eBay lights - are all eBay vendors equal in poor quality?
Is it a matter of fit? or will the eBay lights cloud up soon also?

dave

#8 ·
eBay oem are fine, but most either have broken adjusters, faded/ scuffed lenses, something cracked off or if they are in good condition, the price is pretty close to dealership in which case I would just buy from dealer for the peace of mind that come with brand new. eBay aftermarket are mostly junk, that will fail on you or fade in no time.if your just looking for lenses, then go to Ecstuning...also Eactuning

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

#9 ·
Most of us 'fix' the headlights ... either by replacing the adjusters for anywhere between $5 for both headlights to $160 for both headlights (depending on what option they choose):

- A list of your options when your headlight adjusters are broken (1)

If it's just the lenses, then most try polishing first:
- Headlight plastic polishing & refinishing DIY (1) (2) (3)

Keep us informed as to how you make out.

#13 ·
I have a spare left (driver side) OEM Hella post 2001 headlight in good condition. Minor imperfections on the lense (and I mean minor scratches/pitted) no damage to the adjusters. Has also a protective film that is slightly smoked and has to be removed.
I will part it for 250 + shipping. You find the right light (passenger side) and you're set.

#14 ·
I have attached an image of the driver's side headlight.
As you can see it is badly fogged. This is on the inside.

I was told that this was a sealed, replaceable unit - which is why I posted to this forum for some advice.... anyway, with the view of my lights (passenger's side is just as bad) what options do I have?

1. OEM replacement

2. Is it not really a sealed unit and therefore I can remove / clean / replace.

your feedback is welcome.
thank you
dave

Attachments

#15 ·
I've got a set on order from Ebay

See this thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527880&highlight=yikes+these+are+dirt+cheap

Interestingly enough, the only reason I don't have them yet was because the original unit was actually made incorrectly. If you take a good look at the lenses pictured, the front lens of the side marker light is missing...

I should be receiving them on Monday, but am going to be tied up with work next week so I probably won't be able to post a full report until Friday...

#16 ·
You can buy just the aftermarket headlight housing units from ebay, with clear corners which look better in my opinion, for about $55, and just replace the insides with your original parts. So basically all you will be changing is the glass casing, and the inside will be OEM and reliable. And at $55, who cares if it fades/leaks in 2 years, just buy another one when it does. Heres one i found which looks good: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CORN...Q5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_4112wt_1165

I recently purchased new lights for my 528i from Hong Kong (I'm upgrading to xenons and angel eyes) and it cost me $200 for both headlights which is amazing as a simple xenon upgrade goes for $200 in the states. I'm still waiting on the lights to arrive, but i will keep you posted when they do.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...706366&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_4735wt_997

#18 ·
You can buy just the aftermarket headlight housing units from ebay
That's such a good idea I'm adding it to the 'options' thread so that people will have access to this information in the future without us being involved.

Attachments

#25 ·
I'm not an "OEM or nothing" kind of guy, and I love to save money. But at some point how cheap is too cheap? These are your headlights, not a cigarette lighter. If it was me, I'd be worried about quality, not just price.

Moisture getting into the assembly and fogging it up is a well known problem. BavAuto sells a repair kit, as do many others I'm sure.

If you have to replace, shop around for the best OEM price, don't just go by your local dealer. I got my M-tech bumper kit from Pacific BMW. BMWparts.com (Tischer BMW) also sometimes has good prices.

Just my two cents.

#27 · (Edited)
For the record, another asked for just the lens today:
- E39 (1997 - 2003) > headlight lens

I pointed them to here, but, I wish they would follow up here with their results so the next person would benefit from their experience.

I just picked up an 2002 530I I did not think it was too big of
a deal so I figured I could easily find replacement lens apparently
I was wrong.

I have the drivers side that is cracked and looks bad, However the light
works fine....
I want to replace just the lens is this not possible? does anyone have
a source? thanks much...
Here's what a quick E39-only title-only search for 'headlight & lens' found for me just now:

Looking at all those threads briefly, and dropping the ones that contained little information or were irrelevant to replacing the headlight lens itself, I added the following (in red) to the bestlinks:

- Headlight aiming DIYs (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & how to physically remove the BMW E39 Hella headlights (1) & how to twist out the headlight bulbs (1) (2) (3) including HIDs (1) & which stock H7 'halogen' bulbs to buy (1) (2) (3) & how to physically remove the front turn signal bulb (1) (2) (3) (4) & what front turn signal bulb to replace it with (1) & how to remove the angel eye bulb (1) (2) (3) & which stock angel-eye bulbs to buy (1) (2) (3) & how to retrofit halogen angeleye bulbs to LEDs (1) (2) (3) (4) & how to modify pre-facelift headlights to angel eyes (1) (2) (3) (4) & headlight plastic polishing & refinishing DIYs (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) & replacing just the headlight lens (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) & how to cross reference all light bulbs for any BMW E39 including for the headlights, stoplights, backup, blinkers, dome, vanity, side markers, licplate, parking, fog, trunk/boot, glovebox, etc. (1) & more information if you really want to know everything about broken headlight adjusters (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) & how to make your own headlight adjusters (0) (1) (2) (3) and a summary list of all your options when your headlight adjusters are broken (1) & headlight autopsy photos (1) (2) (3) & an explanation of the weird flat spot on the USA spec headlights (1) (2) & an explanation of HID versus conventional headlights and why the high beam is always a halogen H7 bulb (1) (2) (3) & the age-old argument of whether to buy aftermarket DJ Auto or Depo headlights (1) or OEM Hellas (1).

#28 · (Edited)
Headlight replacement from Ebay (Prolight)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone bought the non-OEM replacement headlights currently on Ebay?

This one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-97-03-E3...item20c32aab9d

or this one with HID included: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-97-03-E3...item1e6bb8f0be

or This one from a different seller (fishcake321) http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-03-BMW-E...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c24547157

Like everyone, I am looking for less expensive replacement compared to the $1000+ OEM Hella HID's. I've got pitted lenses + broken adjusters. 2002 540i6.

Great Threads - Great responses from all. Thanks!

#31 ·
I bought mine from BavAuto for $211, and found the quality and fitment to be very good. I strongly suggest taking this time to also replace the four headlight adjustment stems (about $36 at BavAuto). The stems often break, and then make it impossible to properly align headlights, and you will notice your headlight beam "shudder" on the road when you hit a bump. With removal, cleaning and reinstallation it should take you less than 2 hours.

#32 ·
Regarding the headlight upgrades, do your homework. Most states have strict laws on headlight type, brightness, color, etc. To be street legal you need product packaged with DOT Approved (NOT "for offroad use only". Headlights that are too bright, colored, etc. can be the cause to get you ticketed. There are several manufacturers online who make and sell street legal products that provide a nice look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.