View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 03:30 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
2003 530i Mega Problems!!!

Ok, so lets begin by saying that I am new here and all the help I receive is greatly appreciated. Now for the problem and to start from the beginning. This is my neighbors car and I am trying to help him out as he is getting older and cannot do any of this work himself. His brother in law replaced the radiator after finding a leak in it, upon putting it all back together he somehow managed to break the fan shroud where the expansion tank mounts to. They tried to glue it together just to have it fail while driving down the road and the heater hose from the take rubbed against the AC pulley and punctured a hole in it. The car was towed home and sat for a few months. He than moved the car by his garage and disconnected the battery and was that way for probably 7 months. Last weekend I offered to fix the car. After reconnecting the battery we found that we couldn't turn the ignition past position one. I got the old ignition out, put a new one in and same problem. When the old one was out I put a screw driver in the ignition (battery is again disconnected) and verified that it would turn all the way, successful. So first problem is that we can't get the ignition cylinder to turn past position one. Second problem is that even with the ignition in position one, the only electronics that work in the whole car are the hazards, headlights, radio, digital display on the instrument cluster and the sun visor mirror lights. No door locks, no climate control, no driver memory settings, nothing. I have a feeling that both problems are one in the same and may have to do with the EWS system. Am I on the right track here? Or is there some other sort of security system in the car that activates when the battery is disconnected for an extended period of time. Again I appreciate the help and again, the car is a 2003 530i.
Ads by Google