View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 01:51 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Here are what appears to be our latest set of recommendations:
  • Every oil change, suction out about 8 ounces (250 ml) of the power steering fluid and replace with Dexron VI ATF
  • Every five years (or so), when you replace the two lower oil-filter stem o-rings, also remove the T20 Torx bolt holding down the circular screen filter in the bottom of the power steering fluid reservoir and flush with gasoline (off the vehicle!) to clean the screen
  • Likewise, also replace the o-ring in the power steering fluid reservoir cap at the time you replace the two lower o-rings in the oil filter stem
BTW, I thought the power steering fluid reservoir held about half a quart at any one time, according to my initial tests ...

So, today, I decided to measure the results to confirm:

I suctioned out of my M54 about 8 ounces (250 ml) of Dexron VI:

Then, I removed the T20 Torx bolt with a magnetized driver:

Which enabled me to tilt the screen to see how it looked in situ:

For the record, here are the relevant threads in the VERY best of E39 Links.

- How to clean the power steering fluid reservoir internal filter (1) & how to replace the cap o-ring (1) (2) & why you want to fix the power steering hose drip onto the alternator (1) (2) (3) & how to debug PSP power steering pump noises (1) (2) (3) or steering rack noises (1) & a nice power steering pump autopsy photo (1) & how to flush fix cloudy ATF fluid (1) (2) and what PS fluid to use (1) (2) & DIYs to replace the power steering hoses (1) (2) (3) (4) (5).

Last edited by bluebee; 04-15-2011 at 08:41 PM.