View Single Post
Old 04-16-2011, 12:02 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Execuhitch- Go for it!

YuCrew

I had the Execuhitch installed today on my 2007 X5 4.8. I will be towing a 26' bowrider on a heavy duty dual axel trailer. Execuhitch's HQ is 5 miles from my office, so I had the opportunity to drill down on a Q & A session with the key players before I handed over the keys.

Not only do they have a compelling tow solution, these people have the same mission critical tenet as NASA or even NASCAR. They claim to make most of the parts in South Africa, but the US facility seems to have a few million in laser cutting equipment too. They operate out of a facility that previously was Saturn dealership, aprox 35,000 sq ft. The salient message is this not an operation run on a shoe string, they very could well be an aerospace contractor for the military. Their skill set is that impressive.

I asked my BMW dealer to provide granular details of what the OEM installation would look like. No way in hell do I want my bumper cut then finished with flimsy trim which is glued on and an exposed muffler to boot. That was their $1,200 deliverable. Even the Drawtite solution without the cut made me cringe with that butt ugly receiver sticking out.

You can't tell their is a tow hitch on mine. The safety chain hooks are not as exposed more than an inch or half inch. Does not negatively impact the flow of the bumper. Sweet!

Once I get the trailer hitched up I will post some pictures or upload a video to YouTube.

I have no reservations regarding if the X5 got enough muscle to tow my boat. I do a lot of long haul towing between Atlanta & Miami, Atlanta & Venice, La (both aprox 600 miles each way) with dually's and an assortment of other trucks pulling my much heavier saltwater boats. I can't wait to see how much the X5 squats with 500lb tongue weight. Some report it won't squat an inch. This I want to see.