View Single Post
Old 04-18-2011, 11:49 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post
Your BMW is a control freak. It wants to know everything that goes on, especially when related to the battery. The TIS manual specifically calls for charging the battery using the jumper terminals so that the system can monitor the charge even when the car is off and you are using an external charger. That way the electrical current flows through the IBS circuitry.

Of course, if you replaced your battery and never registered it, then what does it matter?

I am not sure if the boot area is before or after the IBS circuit?
Checked the 6 series wiring diagram and I believe the IBS circuit connects across the battery directly, then into the control circuitry. So the physical charging of the battery and the position at which you charge the battery has no real consequence to the IBS. There clearly is a feed to the alternator from the IBS, which supports the view of the alternator managing the level of charge to the battery and the need to register the battery when replaced. having said this I think if you maintain the current to the car when you change a battery then you would not have to have it registered by BMW.
What the wiring diagram does show is why you should only use the engine terminal to jump start the car, as the terminal is directly connected to the starter motor,

Last edited by 645/333; 04-18-2011 at 12:01 PM.