View Single Post
Old 12-07-2003, 08:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330ci/Cooper s
Can I do this w/ SMG?

I have a new M3 w/ SMG (which I love) but I have a question :
#1: It is often my habit w/ manual cars to roll to a stop in neutral. I do this w/ my SMG by clicking the shift lever L to "O" (or neutral.) This seems to work fine & appears to be perfectly OK for the SMG programming. Any reason (mechanically) not to do this w/ an SMC car? (FYI: I do not always like the rolling stop SMG downshifting programming w/ the car in Auto-mod: the shifts can be a bit abrupt or pre-mature in settings 3-4.)
#2: While driving in the manual mode (any setting 1-5) is it advisable/OK mechanically to roll to a stop and allow the SMG to downshift "automatically" (as opposed to downshifting manually & thus use the engine to brake the car?) I don't always want to use the engine to act as a brake (SMG's tendency to downshift in slow, passive city driving. ) In the manual mode the car will roll to a slow stop and shift down automatically at the last moment from 3rd to 2nd & then first w/o my intervention. Does this create a problematic engine load? The car never seems to stall, struggle or lug in this context.

My experience w/ the SMG has been very positive but I do not always "agree" w/ the programming choices relative to city driving situations IE: In my usual manual setting of #4, upshifts are perfectly paced but downshifts from 3rd to 2nd are best in setting #3 (smoother transitions.) I wish there was a way to "save" this preference in say a "Daily commute mode".
Thanks for your SMG feedback!
Advertisement