View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4dzl View Post
I am getting in on this discussion a little late, but I have some first hand experience to share.
I have a 2011 335d M pkg. After researching all the forums, I decided not to cheap out and
I ordered PIAA LEDs to replace the H8 halogen corona AEs. They were $340 and are not available from PIAA USA.
The face lifted 2011 allows you to access the corona AE bulb straight from the top, but because of the tight space you have to remove the airbox on the passenger side and remove the power steering fluid bracket assembly to be able to reach your hand in the small opening to remove the bulb.
I was very disappointed in the performance of the PIAAs. No codes and they lit up the inner rings on both sides nicely, but the outer rings were very muted and barely visible. Even by adjusting the LED with the allen wrench that is provided, not enough light is transmitted through the glass tubing into the outer ring. The OEMs are much brighter I think this is a problem with many of the after market LEDs. I removed the PIAAs and reinstalled the OEM H8 halogens. Back to the drawing board.
Do the PIAAs have two leds in each unit? I've noticed some seem to have only one led.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **