View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 06:35 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4dzl View Post
I am getting in on this discussion a little late, but I have some first hand experience to share.
I have a 2011 335d M pkg. After researching all the forums, I decided not to cheap out and
I ordered PIAA LEDs to replace the H8 halogen corona AEs. They were $340 and are not available from PIAA USA.
The face lifted 2011 allows you to access the corona AE bulb straight from the top, but because of the tight space you have to remove the airbox on the passenger side and remove the power steering fluid bracket assembly to be able to reach your hand in the small opening to remove the bulb.
I was very disappointed in the performance of the PIAAs. No codes and they lit up the inner rings on both sides nicely, but the outer rings were very muted and barely visible. Even by adjusting the LED with the allen wrench that is provided, not enough light is transmitted through the glass tubing into the outer ring. The OEMs are much brighter I think this is a problem with many of the after market LEDs. I removed the PIAAs and reinstalled the OEM H8 halogens. Back to the drawing board.
I'm TRYING to remain positive about Kat's light mod, but I had a cadre of "yute" engineers (BSME) that were CONSTANTLY modding their cars. I can't begin to tell you the stories...cold air intake? Sucked water into the engine. Exhaust? burned the carpet in the trunk, got a "noise" ticket...high performance engine mods? Blew the engine...goes on and on. Worst case scenario for Kat? Go back to OE.

I suggest that Kat take a photo "before" and "after" for her light pattern if possible (such as against a wall at night)...or while driving.