View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 08:24 AM
BMW CCA Memeber #445389

Mein Auto: M50 Big Body
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowclock View Post
Where should I start? For one, how low your car is has nothing to do with how stiff the ride is. That's down to spring rates and shock valving. Aftermarket shocks and struts don't have tighter shock valving to compensate for a lowered ride high, they have tighter valving to control the suspension better. Having more "pressure" inside the shock (I assume you're talking about the gas charge?) doesn't decrease damping, it basically increases it as the gas gets closer to incompressible. Increasing the volume of gas might decrease damping in the end, but not pressure. Low damping rates don't necessarily lead to high rebound because they are independent of each other. You don't want less damping and more rebound unless you only plan on drag racing because then you get what they call jacking, where the asymmetrical oscillation makes one corner keep getting taller and taller. Also, sway bars don't stiffen the chassis, they just try to prevent roll.

Sorry I didn't realize that number of posts is directly proportional to how much you know. Oh wait, I get it now. The stuff in the OP is supposed to be myths.
Well allow me to retort. Maybe you should reread the OP with a little less skepticism, and try to understand that im making an easy-to-digest, comprehensive report of modifications.
  • lowering a car, uses lowering springs. Lowering springs are usually stiffer due to less wheel travel. This is a very simple physic. A lowered car will have a lower center of gravity, producing better handling via less body roll. Less body roll equates to a firmer road-holding ride.
  • "as the gas gets closer to incompressable" meaning yes the gas charge. There is a whole lot of technology in a gas shock, far more than i'm willing to explain to a whole bunch of people who just want a bottom line, or to a handful of people who already get it.
  • i understand that dampening and rebound are separate from each other, but to a non-rocket scientist looking to upgrade a suspension, a sport shock, for instance, would have changes in both of these realms, which is all im explaining. I did not say they were related, i tried to convey haw they work with each other
  • less roll = stiffer. again most people here would agree that if they were in a car going around a track with 11mm bars, and then again in a car with 30mm bars, theyd describe it as stiffer. im using generalized expression for what a person could expect, and how they themselves would possibly describe it. A whole lot of people here get all of the ins and outs of this, but for others (who would read this thread hoping to get some useful information, its suffices)

So enough with the semantics and the over analyzing. Clearly you know all you need to about modifying your car, so leave the simplified thread for non-mechanics looking for a simple explanation to the non-mechanics looking for a simple explanation.
Thanks big, guy

1995 525iA 250k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi
2014 F-150 0k mi

Instagram: @Titan_E34
Snapchat: Titan_E34