View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 07:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumforc View Post
Very true. And, dealers accepted many "Auto Show" vehicles which plugged up their lots with high end GT's with features that tagged way over 70K. Thus a high end vehicle became over priced, especially when the typical BMW dealer refused to knock much off the sticker even on the pre-owned "demo" models because they were selling them as CPO's or such. One dealer in San Diego was so "kind" as to shave just 2K off a loaded 2010 535i GT "demo" when the 2011's were already available in numbers in Orange County. In fact, that's the reason I purchased the second new GT in Orange County, as the dealers here just don't want to cut a deal close enough to make it worthwhile.

Sometimes I think the dealers fail to understand the buyer holds the cash. I understand the "want factor" but that has to be balanced by understanding what has become dealer greed in many cases. They would rather a vehicle become "lot rot" and pay the flooring if they don't own it outright, watch it deteriorate for a year or more on the lot, than take a reasonable offer to move it. Knowing that you can deal elsewhere and then groan when you show up for service with the plate surround of a competing dealer. Then it's the "shoulda-would-coulda" story. Frankly, dealing with the Orange County dealer was a much better experience than any of the three purchasing experiences here in San Diego.

That is illustrated by a 2010 on a local lot without Navigation that has been sitting there for about 13 months, white with a beige interior. Still asking 57K. Only extra equipment is rear air as I recall. This car will sit forever and they will hold that price forever too.
My friend you speak the truth! I just laugh when some dealers treat their cars like like gold. You know the ones who park unsold cars in the middle of the show room and lock them. Hell you might as well put a velvet rope around the car too

The car you describe sounds fairly base, if that dealer does not want to be flexible and wishes to keep a base 2010 GT as part of his floor plan for an extended period- hats off to him.

Advantage consumer: We have the ability to walk away. We can shop as much and as long as we like......to the point of even having a vehicle shipped from another state if need be. I for one will not hesitate to walk if the dealer experience is not right. 9 times out of 10 it starts with the sales experience. When I went to get my GT I knew more about the car than my sales associate. He however, informed me that he was new and hadn't had much of a chance to learn about the car. I appreciated his honesty, so guess what I educated him in the process. I ended up being his first delivery as well as the first GT sale for that dealership. My sales associate ended up selling more GT's than any of his peers for a while. I don't know if he still has the top GT sales for the dealership, but at least he was ahead of his colleagues.

I think the market has stabilized for GT's In that the there is no longer a surplus of GT's on dealer lots maybe a ratio of like 10 to 1 ( F10 vs. GT), if not larger. In many cases the V8's are by order only. Depending on the desired specs you'll likely end up having to order a 535 GT as well.
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)