View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 08:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Roadster, K1300S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doulos View Post
Thank you for that information, I have gone through your checklist and oil was overfilled the smoking is now reduced by half.

I have a haynes and clymers and noticed the spark plugs are a bit oily or rich with fuel also the fuel jets had a bit of build up on them, I just did a dry cloth cleaning. Then I adjusted the idle adjustment and it seemed to help, I noticed the previous owner made a small marks for proper placement, i placed the marks back together and it idles much better.
Glad the smoking has improved.

I'm not sure what you mean by "small marks for proper placement". Most of the idle speed and synching adjustments are made using a vacuum measuring tool of some sort (TwinMax digital or "CarbStix" type manometer). If you are not really sure of the maintenance history of your bike, it may be worth the effort to start from the beginning and reset the baseline.

1. New spark plugs.
2. Have the fuel injectors (I assume this is what you mean by "fuel jets") checked and ultrasonically cleaned. This is not critical (you could also just run Techron or similar cleaner through the fuel system for a couple of tanks), but then you would know that your injectors are working properly.
3. New air filter.
4. Adjust the valves (and check/replace the alternator belt while you are doing it).
5. Adjust the idle speed and synch the throttle bodies. I'm not sure if your bike has the single throttle cable to the left TB with the jumper cable to the right TB (like mine) or has the "Y" type throttle cable to both TB's. The adjustment method differs between the two, but the basic idea is the same. You will need some sort of vacuum measuring device to do this properly.

These bikes run much better if maintained and adjusted properly, and tend to have running issues if not (e.g., surging). Most of the adjustments can be done by a reasonably competent DIY with a minimum of tools. The vacuum measuring device is the only really specialized tool, and you can either borrow one or buy one for about $100.
"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).