View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 07:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by darbyogill View Post
Your demographic description fits the average BMW buyer, but you are very far off the target demographic of the GT.

The GT was always planned as a conquest vehicle--a car that would attract buyers from beyond the traditional BMW customer base. This is largely why there is animosity from the more traditional BMW owners--because they're having to open up the tent to noobs. The only thing the GT customer shares with other BMW owners is socio-economic status. Other than that, GT owners are older, whiter, more likely to live in the suburbs, more likely to have adult children and more likely to have owned multiple Japanese (and even American) automobiles, and favor driving comfort and practicality above performance, style and even efficiency.

GT buyers will be "younger and hipper" than most Lexus, Acura, Infiniti and Cadillac buyers, but they will not be "younger and hipper" than other BMW owners.

In the end the GT was a margin play. The E61 sold less than 1000 units in NA each year of production. If they could double that volume with the GT then it would be a smashing success. So far, it's been a push. But curiously there is much discussion about a 3GT and even a 6GT... so clearly BMW is quite enamored with the form factor, even if the market in general is not.
With all due respect I think you are way off base. This is BMW number 7 for me, since 1994. IMHO the GT offers those BMW enthusiasts/owners a vehicle that offers BMW performance and more flexibility than the standard 3er, 5er, 7er saloon err sedan. All types of folks drive GT's, and trust when I say I'm not a stodgy, old, tight lipped, individual in any way

So your assessment of GT owners is a bit misguided, make that way misguided
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)

Last edited by car-fan; 05-17-2011 at 07:37 PM.