View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 09:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: TBD
Interesting topic.

I consider myself someone who puts a good bit of thought into each car I buy, and I put a high premium on picking stylish and interesting cars.

Demographically, I am late-30s, married, one toddler and another on the way. Love to travel internationally, dive, hike, etc. Work hard to never travel coach. Like to pick a car that stands out a bit from the crowd.

For reference, my last few cars have been mostly Euro, but jumping around between Audi (A4, S4) and BMW (330i, 335iC) and one Japanese (M45).

My last car was an Convertible 335i that I picked up on Euro delivery, which was a great experience, and was a great blend of style, outdoors, and love of travel.

In the last 3 years, however, I've gone from zero kids to (soon) 2, so I definitely had to move to a more practical car.

Initially I searched for Euro SUVs, looked at the X3, X5, Q5, Q7, etc. Was disappointed to find that most of them were not actually built in Europe (so no Euro delivery), and even the ones that seemed well styled just felt wrong.

I stumbled across the GT randomly, had no idea it existed, and the more I researched it, the more it seemed like the perfect mix for me. More practical than my E93, but didn't have the "I give up on style completely" feeling of going to an SUV or a Wagon.

So to me it was a perfect blend of:

- I can fit 2 kids and a dog in there (and then some)
- Doesn't look like an SUV or a station wagon, looks and handles like a big-ass car
- Still has spirited power & handling for fun mountain drives
- Isn't something you see 20 of in every parking lot

This was the first time I ever had back-to-back cars with the same manufacturer. I tend to get bored with things, so I constantly hopped back & forth between Audi, BMW, and occasionally looked at Japanese luxury brands. I briefly flirted with the A7 which looks AMAZING, but in terms of practicality & comfort, seemed like it missed the mark.

Was a tough decision and I'm sure I'll be a bit jealous every time I pass an A7 on the street for the next few years, though.

Last edited by innerloop; 05-20-2011 at 09:35 AM.