View Single Post
Old 05-27-2011, 02:08 PM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Mein Auto: 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by harplayr View Post
Also from that article....

This version of the meeting is much less sinister than the sensational story presented by Hamilton who had no firsthand knowledge of any such meeting.

The "meeting" apparently took place when Saugy was collecting samples from Armstrong and not when he held the high position he now does. He also states he had no idea which rider's samples tested with traces but below the threshold of a positive. The way the system is designed to be blind in that respect I believe him when he says he doesn't know who the rider or riders were.

It's quite natural to chat about things in the process of collecting samples and Saugy said he gave public lectures with the same information he discussed with Armstrong. No trade secrets were told. I'm not aware of any no-talking rule between the people sent out to collect samples and riders or management.

It's a big leap to infer from this that Armstrong bought them off through this person who that at that time was a mid level employee.

Getting back to Contador, what disappoints me is the fact that he DID test positive in both A & B samples at last year's tour. The reports of plastic particles found in his blood (indicating transfusions) while not yet admissible further makes me believe he was blood doping.

While the legal battle is still ongoing, I don't think he should be racing in this year's tour. I remember a couple of years ago when a bunch of riders (including Ulrich) were prevented from riding in the Tour when they were just suspected of being involved with doping, but had not yet failed any tests. It did turn out that most of them were guilty of doping, but there is precedent for denying a rider's eligibility to race in the Tour without positive tests. Contador was implicated somewhat in that doping scandal too, but there wasn't enough evidence to go after him on it.
Agreed. However, I do find it interesting that there is silence on this issue from the Armstrong camp. From what I gathered from the article, it sounded to me like Saugy had a sit down with Bruyneel and Armstrong regarding these questions and it was more than casual chit chat while he was drawing blood.

Contador did indeed test positive, but apparently there's a loophole that states if you can prove you didn't mean to take it, you get away with it. The plasticizers in the blood are not currently banned so they're a non issue. If you remember, Pedro Delgado tested positive after winning the 08 tour for a masking agent that was not yet on the banned substance list.

It would not surprise me if Tour management dis-invited Contador. They have a history, as you stated of not allowing riders under suspicion to race. I guess the difference may be that Contador won his initial case and is therefore technically not under suspicion. Either way, I bet he gets off. He won't be the first athlete to use the "tainted beef" defense and get away with it.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"