View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
I just got back from a four day car camping trip. From about two days, my car was parked and basically never opened except for unloading. Because of racoons and such, I kept my dry food stored in a bin in the back and I'd do a lot of opening and closing of the car at dinner and breakfast time.

When I started the car to leave, the clock was blinking and I had a warning message about low battery.

Is this normal behavior? There was certainly some discharge of the battery over those three days (although not extreme, by any means. Should I be concerned?
Sounds like a little driving will get your battery charged up. We had a thread not too long ago about battery life and reports were quite diverse (3 - 5 yrs generally). The most interesting note that came out of this was a warning from BMW (some owner's manuals) about daily driving habits and keeping the battery charged:

"if your car is driven only for short distances of less than 10 miles over a prolonged period of time, without an occasional drive at highway speeds, the engines (sic) charging system will not maintain the battery."

Somewhat of a challenge for "seniors" who may only go to Costco once per week!
F30 328i
E90 328i
E92 335i 6MT
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
Member: BMW CCA