View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 318is
Hi there Gentlemen
Great discussion here for those of us that are intending to DIY oil & filter change after the BMW guaranty has been expired.
I own a 1997 e36 318is/M44 which has been in my garage for a while since the lack off power was an issue to me, like to mention that this car has up to date only 34,000 Kilometer/21,250 Miles. It is a German version car without Catalyze.
As a regular procedure a have taken the car to the local Authorized BMW dealer once a year for maintenance, just to be on the safe side and keep it in optimum conditions. I have owned BMW brand since my 17 birthday in 1976 when my parents gave me a 2002tii. Usually change my BMWs every 4 years but in the case of this one I plan to keep it for ever since it remained me my first 2002tii, I guess it has to see with nostalgia.
About 2 years back y personally installed a Downing Atlanta Supercharge system to her and the power went very high in performance and it brought back my enthusiasm to drive it more frequently, since it is so much fun to drive now. It has been @ 5,000 Km/3,125miles since her last oil/filter service and as I mentioned earlier I am planning to do this myself. The BMW garage has been using BMW Super Power Oil SEA 5W-40 BMW Longlife-98 ACEA: A3/B4/B4 on her since the beginning and I am wondering if use this same oil or swap to another one, perhaps something with new technology up to date product.
Can any of you please provide me with recommendations on this; should I keep using the same OEM product or go for a new one?
Advance thank you for the broad suggestion, all them would be welcome.
Cheers