View Single Post
Old 06-06-2011, 06:20 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
The Elantra is in the mid-size class because the EPA uses interior room to classify the cars.

I haven't seen an Elantra (don't think they sell it in the UK) but it does look very competitive. MINI, especially the Hatch, is a niche car. I'm not sure how many people are going to cross shop.

BMW worked magic on the Prince engine. The end result was much better than the French design they started with. 6 years ago this motor was a class leader. Maybe BMW can squeeze out more with another update.

Maybe they'd be better off making the car lighter. At 2568lbs. it's not exactly light for the size.

Coopers have wide performance tires. Gearing matters too. I'm not sure how that works out in real world driving. I wouldn't be surprised if the Elantra is faster in a drag race but slower in Autocross. A UK Cooper goes 0-60 in 9.1 seconds. Anyone have numbers for the Elantra?

MINI USA could change the game completely if they started importing the Cooper SD. Those are powered by a BMW N47 diesel with 143HP and 305Nm torque. The SD Hatch and Clubman go 0-60 in 8.1 seconds and use 25% less fuel than a Cooper. Since it isn't sold in the US, there aren't any EPA numbers for an SD, but they would be something like 36/46.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 06-06-2011 at 06:47 AM.