View Single Post
Old 06-17-2011, 12:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 740iL
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLECTRO eDITION View Post
Apparently there is a lot of buzz on the "iPHONE 4, iPHONE 3 get very hot" issue.
Google search for your benefit with many posts: http://www.google.com/search?q=iPHON...rlz=1I7PRFA_en
A safe option althought time consuming is to log a service call and document the issue with your BMW service dept. If your charging iPhone 4 causes damage to your 7, liability will be with your BMW dealer that logged your complaint and Apple.
I'll say, all is normal for the heat due to battery type and voltage/current requirements to charge the device. No manufacturer wants a product liability issue and thier attorneys will make sure of a win to protect company assets.

Many electronics operate in very warm to hot conditions all perfectly normal: automotive radar detectors on dash in the sun post parking, modern vacuum tube audio, class A amplification, plasma displays, pro audio gear,etc.

Good luck, keep posting updates with your results.
Thanks for the comments. That said, the iPhone actually shuts down due to heat - this to me says there are some parts within the device that are heat sensitive and actually have a failsafe measure within to protect it from damage. And, since this heating only happens in the cradle and no other charging system that I use (OEM or aftermarket), my assumption there is either a flaw in the design or a flaw in my unit itself. In fact, so far its BMW's assumption too - its in for service under these conditions and they are troubleshooting now.

Looking for anyone who has gone through this or found a resolution.