View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 05:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to NateXTR
Mein Auto: '13 X1 3.5 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcain View Post
Thanks as always for the write-up. I'm getting both the nostalgia for my first ED (and remembering your ordeal from 3 years ago, actually ) and a glimpse of the next one as we're going to Italy this time around. On that topic, any restaurant recommendations for Lake Como? We're staying in Bellagio but I don't think a nice drive with the top down to go somewhere else is out the question.

We stayed in Varrena and took the ferry to Bellagio for the purpose of driving. Not far above town, there is a small chapel dedicated to the Madonna Del Ghisallo, the patron saint of cyclists. The climb has been used for years in both the Giro d'Italia and the Beautiful fall classic bike race called the tour of Lombardi. Over the years, professional cyclists have donated memorabilia to the chapel. So much so that they decided to open a museum with all of the gear. One of the most moving displays is the wrecked bike of Fabio Casertelii, a teammate of Lance Armstrong, who crashed and died in the Tour de France. Regardless, it is a nice, twisty, drive up to the chapel on back roads. Also, there is a great view of the lake from the courtyard of the museum... Enjoy!

PS. When we asked for directions in pidgin Italian (dové il Madonna del Ghisallo?) the answer was succinctly "alto,alto,alto!". Whenever we got to an intersection we took the direction that seemed to go up. It worked!
2/8/07 ED X3 Alpine White, Step, PP, SP, Xenon. Re-delivered 3/17/07(retired)
7/7/06 ED 325XIT, JapanRot, Step, PP, Xenon. Luzern, Gap, Alp d' Huez, Varenna, Munich. Re-delivered 8/28/06.(retired)